[lit-ideas] Re: Science as Aesthetics?

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:43:33 -0400

DMc:

> The string-theory must, I'm guessing, fall into one of the following
> categories:-
>
> a. inconsistent with observable physical phenomena (in which case falsified
> though scientific);
>
> b. consistent with observable physical phenomena in ways that, were those
> phenomena otherwise, the theory would be falsified (in which case it is to
> that extent testable and scientific);
>
> c. consistent with observable physical phenomena but only in that it is not
> inconsistent with them (the hypothesis "God exists" might be said to be such
> a theory also) but where it would also be consistent (as might God's
> existence) with any instance where the phenomena were otherwise:- in which
> case it is not scientific since it simply prohibits no possible state of
> affairs.
>
> Paul seems to suggest it takes the form of c. And I wonder if he might
> clarify if this is so?

I would agree that 'c' is closest.

> If so, is string-theory akin to a deistic explanation in that it simply
> posits in mathematical form an underlying reality behind the world of
> observable phenomena that nevertheless could never be inconsistent with such
> phenomena no matter how they were?

Sort of, but it's not even that. It keeps changing as they come up
against inconsistencies. They just keep inventing. It's like a maze
that is being built with more and more dead ends but with no actual
escape path. At least a religious dogma (unless it's Roman Catholic)
is consistent and insistent. The 'beautiful' part of superstring
theory is the theory -- just the conception of it. The math is
actually a mess.

>If so, is there a possible bridge somewhere further down the line where it
>might take a testable form that prohibits certain possible observable
>states-of-affairs?

Sure, but it won't be string theory.