[lit-ideas] Re: Sayable simples

  • From: Henninge@xxxxxxxxxxx (Richard Henninge)
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:49:55 +0200

"Beiläufig spricht man nicht!": A Review of the Mutton Wittgenstein on the
Example of Its Translation of _Tractatus_ 2.0232

(from The Picture ["Get The Picture?"], Europe's Largest Daily Newspaper,
Saturday, May 22, 2004)

As recorded in Habakkuk 2:2, "And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the
vision, and make it plain upon tables, THAT HE MAY RUN THAT READETH IT."

Tractatus 2.0232:

Beiläufig gesprochen: Die Gegenstände sind farblos. (Wittgenstein, original)

Roughly speaking: objects are colourless. (Ogden, trans. [1922])
There is a sense in which objects are colorless. (Nichols & May,
trans.[1961])
One might say that obects are colorless. (Mutton editions, trans. [2004])
In a manner of speaking, objects are colourless. (McGuinness & Pears,
trans.[1961])
Dicho sea incidentalmente, los objetos son incoloros. (Munoz & Reguera,
trans. [1973])
Soit dit en passant: les objets sont incolores. (Pierre Klossowski, trans.
[1961])
Detto approssimativamente: Gli oggetti sono incolori. (Amadea G. Conte,
trans. [1964])

More of this may follow.

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz