[lit-ideas] Satyricon; or Erotica Graeco-Romana (Is: Loeb Unexpurgated)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 20:53:21 EST

I found a reference to Figulus in this rather BORING book on "Roman
literature". Apparently, he was a Pythagorean philosopher.

It was then that I thought I had seen this book by Williams quoted  somewhere
-- in relation to Martial -- and thought of sharing the thoughts with  the
list.

Philosophers -- or worse, 'historians of philosophy', because if they  notice
in you the minimal interest in what Grice called the longitudinal unity  of
philosophy -- they try to minimize your interest by saying, "So it's _history
of philosophy_ which is your field!" -- tend to be boringly systematic.

When it comes to 'ancient' philosophy (Graeco-Roman) it was usually divided
into:

physica
psychologia rationalis
ethica

but when you come to think of an issue as "eros" -- I notice LOTS of
philosophers wrote about it, including Aristotle, "Peri erotos", etc. -- And
it's
not easy how it would fit in the paradigm. It would be part of  'psychologia'
but not necessarily 'rational'.

Presently, I think Loeb has done a good job, even when expurgating texts --
but it should not always be our Bible -- Why has the Loeb never published
Marianus Cappella, for example?

But when one reads from C. Williams's book -- and I haven't got it -- the
list of technicism (as it were) for 'erotic' relationships, one finds that the
topic becomes complicated enough to be called 'philosophia'.

You may say that 'literature of love' (erotic literature) is just as
important. But I would distinguish between the fictional, the poetical, and the

philosophical -- and the Gearyan (Mineppean satyre?)

Cheers,

JL