[lit-ideas] Re: SUNDAY POEM/Macgillonies of Strone

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:06:16 -0700

Thank you for your responses yesterday.

And from these we conclude?  The idea of limitless wine appeals to people.
Female pirates are currently a bit of a hot subject; type "women pirates"
into Amazon's search engine and you'll see.  Thanks, though, to Steve
Cameron for telling me which among these books is worth attention.

Slighty unfortunate name, Cameron.  Lowland name associated with three
places.  Highland version, "like that of Campbell, is derived from a facial
deformity, cam-shron, Gaelic for 'wry' or 'hook nose.'  Closely associated
with the Donalds and Donalls.  The highland branch consists of three
groupings: the Macmartins of Letterfinlay, the Macgillonies of Strone and
the Macorlies of Glen Nevis.  If you have any choice in the matter, Steve,
I'd advise association with the Macgillonies of Strone.  Lovely sound.
Campbell, by the way, means "wry or crooked mouth."  (refs from George F.
Black, "The Surnames of Scotland").

No one expressed curiosity about the four lines I modified.  Perhaps because
you all knew that they are by Mary Elizabeth Coleridge, about whom *I* knew
nothing?  The poem, which I confess to finding in the Oxford Dictionary of
Quotations, is called, "Unwelcome."  Now I'm going to have to look her up.

S.T. Coleridge was her great, great uncle.  She lived in London, taught,
died of appendicitis.  The lines I mangled are the four opening ones.  The
woman turns out to be the unwelcome visitor.  You'll find the full text
here:

http://www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp?poet=3048&poem=363218

Once more unto the essays...

David Ritchie