[lit-ideas] SNL's debate coverage

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:21:26 -0400

While (IMHO) Saturday Night's comedy has gone downhill fast in the past few
years, they still have their finger firmly on the political pulse of the
US. For the first two shows of this year, they have opened with a
protracted (10 minutes) parody (not too difficult this year) of the
Presidential debates. Here are the closing remarks from John Kerry (played
by Seth Myers) from the first debate.

Apologies for any errors, I had to transcribe them myself.

<begin>
Myers as Kerry: You know this president likes to talk about how I called
Iraq the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time; but a few days
later, how I said that anyone who doesn't think the world is a better place
without Saddam Hussein, is not fit to be commander-in-chief. But what he
doesn't tell you, is that when I denounced the war in Iraq, I was speaking
to an Anti-War group and when I endorsed the war, I was addressing a
Pro-War delegation from the UGA. The fact of the matter, I have
consistently supported the war in front of pro-war audiences and I have
condemned it when speaking to groups that oppose it.
{getting increasing animated and pointing} THAT IS NOT FLIP-FLOPPING, THAT
IS PANDERING and Americans deserve a president who knows the difference.
<end>

This is not too far from Kerry appears to me to be doing. And that is why I
called him lame a while back.

Paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx