[lit-ideas] Re: Rumsfeld doubts Saddam Laden link

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 02:11:08 EDT

Hi,
Okay, this is another one of those times when Bush's well-paid political
handlers get to earn their money, right? <g>

They sit in their little room and smack themselves on the forehead every
time he or one of his buds make statements like this...and then they figure out

a way to 'spin' it.  (and often do a fairly good job...as spinning  goes.)

We like to sit around and do a dramatic smack to the forehead as we imagine
that they must be doing every time we read/hear something like this.

Or, we say 'I'm feeling just like Bush's handlers!' when we have said/done
something silly...

We did our phone calling for the Kerry-Edwards campaign yesterday.   Then
found out they have opened an Independence Office (would be closer and no  I435
barrier to cross <g>)

I even drove to Kansas to pick up some signs (they were out of them
again--the bad is that someone is driving around Prairie Village KS now just
like in
my suburb (Lees Summit) and slashing them...<sigh>

So we have a Kerry-Edwards sign in the yard...looking right across to my
neighbors Bush-Cheney sign.  We're hoping they still maintain the good
relationship with us--but they did put their sign up first even while knowing
how *I*
feel...<wry look>  I have 9 more signs in my car--two are  called for and
another two most probably.  So, do the  math...<g>...how many more to find
matches
for?  The structured part  of me gets cranky when I deal with situations
which seem practical and yet are  not done.  While we were calling, if we got a
person who was very obviously  for Kerry, we were to ask if he/she would be
interested in volunteering.   If the person said 'no', I ended up having him
ask
if they wanted a sign.   (since I was getting a bunch and these were all people
in Eastern Jackson County  who would be even less likely than I was to drive
to go get some--which might  explain the dearth of Kerry-Edwards signs in our
area...  [in fact we got  very positive responses for that...]  When I
mentioned that it might be  another option for people to be asked, I got a kind
of
pat on the head...both  from the hq part where we were as well as on the phone
today to 'an intern' at  the Independence location--who also added that since
they run out of them, they  didn't like to ask that.  Well, I said, you could
get a list of people who  would like them and then when you get a shipment in,
they could be told ... and  I would even deliver them out to their area...
Oh, well.  *I* thought  it was a good idea...[and still do...several of the
people Ben talked to on the  phone said they had wondered how to get a sign to
show they were going to vote  for Kerry as they kept, like me, seeing the Bush
signs everywhere...  Kind  of curious why people do what they do.  Like the
signs for the Missouri  governor--they all mention her first name
"Claire"...and
yet, the Republican  candidate's sign only says his last name...which is the
same as his  grandfather--who was governor a long time ago.  Was talking about
this to  someone else who mentioned that the problem with using the first name
is that  people see the last names first on the ballots ... so if they are
unfamiliar  with Claire's last name, they might not pay attention [given how
people are the  way they are <wry look>] and end up voting the one which has
the
most name  recognition [the main point with signs as I see it, anyway...]

Ben wore his new Kerry-Edwards t-shirt to school today and plans on wearing
his Kids for Kerry button tomorrow (can you tell I like to shop--even for
political stuff...<g>).  We live surrounded by Bush-Cheney  people.  Poor kid.
However, it fit in well with his new social  studies unit as they are now
studying Democracy and Voting--and he does not seem  to mind the fussing that
occurs to his viewpoint.  They do "Kids  Voting" at his school, in this school
district.  He had to figure out how  to defend his point of view at scouts
tonight
as the topic came up when we were  going to visit the assistant scoutmaster
and his son with a couple of other of  new scouts to get their gear looked over
in order to go on this big  backpacking/hiking trip they are taking this
weekend.  (We mentioned we  wanted to get back in time to watch the vp
debate...<sigh>)  The big  phrase around here is still the 'flip-flop' buzz
word (which
at least Ben is  able to point out to others who keep mentioning the term).
His one stumper  was when the fellow told him that it was not Bush who had
started outsourcing  jobs but Clinton with NAFTA.  Ben didn't know what to say
at
that  point...was honest about it and said that all he knew was that he
believed Kerry  would figure out a way to bring jobs back to the US...somehow.
We
agreed  for no politics tomorrow--though we will still try to get back in
time...

Speaking of hiking and backpacking.  Who are some of your favorite  authors
and poets who speak of such things?

Wishing all a good night,
Marlena in Missouri