[lit-ideas] Re: Rumsfeld

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:34:47 -0400

Should Rumsfeld go? Depends on whether you're for or against Bush. After
all, Rumsfeld is Bush's assistant when it comes to war. Bush is the
commander-in-chief. Rumsfeld's supposed to have followed Bush's lead. Throw
Rumsfeld out and it looks like Bush is admitting a lot of things were done
poorly. That's one thing Bush won't do: admit to any mistakes. Throwing
Rummy away weakens the commander -- at the worst of all times, just before
the election. Bush is nothing if not sensitive to the political dynamics of
every nuance.

But retaining Rumsfeld IS good, I think, for the Democrats. Bush then
retains liability for all those errors and omissions, false steps, poor
planning and stupid judgments. I like that. Hooray for Rumsfeld!

Stan Spiegel