[lit-ideas] Re: Rome in 418 B.C. -- thoughts on soldiers, recruitment, and pacifism

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:07:53 +0100 (BST)

I've always liked Tacitus -- I should really brush up my Latin so I can enjoy
reading him again,

"trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt,
pacem appellant"

 "To ravage, to slaughter, to usurp under false titles, they call empire; and
where they make a desert, they call it peace."

(Oxford Revised Translation)

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK