[lit-ideas] Re: Robert Fagles dies

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:16:20 -0400

>>Fagles' translations of Homer

Fagles will be missed. His translation of _The Odyssey_ seemed more vivid than the edited E.V. Rieu version in Penguin. Fagles manages to convey the right balance of sensory detail, rhythm and simple speech. When I was a kid, I read the Samuel Butler translation, struggling a bit. After college, I read Kazantzakis' _The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel_, which appealed to my youthful idealism questing for a united world. In the '90s, I heard Derek Walcott read part of _Omeros_ at the DIA Center, and read that poem, which is masterful if you can stand book-length terza rima.