[lit-ideas] Rights ad infinitum

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:29:54 -0500

Teemu: As a practical solution [to Israel/Palestine] , I'd advocate someone not directly involved (USA/EU I think) compensating those that have lost property financially once and for all.

Finland's not directly involved. Maybe they should pay? As for hysterical property rights, I think you Finns are still hot and bothered over the eastern section, Karelia, which the Soviets seized from you. Maybe I'm wrong about your national attachment, but there was some talk about how to relocate the Russians living in Karelia and the Finnish right of return. (Always liked Sibelius' Karelia Overture by the way.)

As for the Palestinians, they don't seem too popular anywhere except in the Islamic imagination. Nor do they seem too picky about where they live. It's not blood roots they seem to be seeking. They were perfectly willing to relocate to Jordan.

Remember that in 1970 the PLO tried to set up a PLO state inside Jordan, a defacto coup d'etat against King Hussein. After appeasement didn't work, Hussein ordered his army to attack the PLO guerrilla forces in September 1970, killing thousands of Palestinians and forcing the survivors to flee to Israel and Lebanon, where they once again set up the PLO infrastructure. (The Black September terrorists who slaughtered the Olympic athletes got their name from the September massacre of Palestinians by the Jordanians.)