[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 18:33:48 +0000

Saturday, March 26, 2005, 5:30:30 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Judy:<of course the answer to "How long..." is that the others should not be
VC> denied *free at point of entry* medical care.>

VC> Theoretically they are not denied it here.  Usually in an emergency room.
VC> But after that, it depends on who one is.

I know -- sorry -- the point is, no-one will be denied it here at a
later stage because  of lack of money alone.

VC> Judy:<
VC> well yes -- but I am glad my mother had a private room in the nursing
VC> home (I would not chosen a shared room),>

VC> No such thing here unless one is fabulously wealthy.

My mother's nursing home cost 1400 sterling a month (considerably more
than my pre-tax income), it is one of the more expensive ones in
Cardiff, but I wanted a good one, luckily she had savings (and the
Welsh Assembly money).

Here private rooms are standard. But they are not necessarily the best
thing, that's what I meant. I now know that the best care goes to people
in the kind of noisy cramped ground floor room I turned down, not the
light airy top floor one I was offered next. But my mother liked that
room a lot, so, I feel OK about it.

VC> Carol asks if care should be reserved for people with a certain IQ, etc. to
VC> which Judy replies:
VC> <Clearly not -- is anyone on this list saying it should be?>

VC> Veronica: No one is saying that on this list.

that's what I thought

Judy

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx