[lit-ideas] Re: Right to Life, Right to Die

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 17:50:48 -0800

Andy wrote:
A..A Does not compute.  Her parents couldn't take her outdoors?  Couldn't
> change the radio station?  Couldn't fight for more services?  Something
> doesn't add up here.

ck:  It adds up but smells nasty, when you read (or interview) behind the
media hoopla. I'm not suggesting that you or any other regular person would
or even could do that, however. Like most news these days, this case has
been flattened out and over-simplified to maximize its sensational impact
and politcal usefulness. Michael Schindler took complete control of Terri's
environment for most of this time, and he had the authority, as legal
guardian, to bar the Schindlers from Terri's room. The Schindlers were not
allowed in, as a rule (all needed to be cleared by Michael), nor was Terri's
priest allowed in. So in a word, no, Terri's family was not legally able to
alter her environment. That infamous videotape you keep seeing on TV was
taken by Terri's father in opposition to Michael's dictum. Father risked
jail for that video. I interviewed the Schindlers by phone about three years
ago.
Carol