[lit-ideas] Re: Restoration Literature

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:35:46 -0800

Eric:

I read Henry Esmond years ago and don't remember it at all, but I recall the
context somewhat and don't know why you are mentioning it in the relation to
the Restoration.  Thackeray of course was much later but even the setting
for Henry Esmond (Queen Anne's reign, 1702-1714) was after the close of the
Restoration Period when ran from 1660 to 1700 according to my recollection.
. . unless you are saying that the picture of life in 1702-1714 can't be
much different from that of 1660-1700.  Maybe I answered my own question.

Lawrence