[lit-ideas] Re: Reason (was Faith)

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:43:12 +0100

<<it is my painful duty to point out that Ms. Nantongo was sent down from
the Mutton College Logic Camp in 2001 for forging an argument.>>

Heh heh heh. Very true. What Professor Paul neglects to mention, of course,
is that the said sending down was the culmination of a glorious and
resoundingly successful Resistance operation, one that resulted in the
ignominious closure of the 2001 Mutton College Logic Camp for that year and
its failure to reopen since. Here is the complete story:

A group of gallant Resistance workers dedicated to the overthrow of the
tyranny of Reason infiltrated the 2001 Mutton College Logic Camp disguised
as establishment apparatchiks. Armed to the teeth with 70 different logical
fallacies and sickeningly pious reasonable demeanors, we spread out among
the reactionary ranks of genuine camp participants, casting doubt on others'
arguments and aspersions on others' commitment to Reason and saying "Is your
position quite logical, dear?" to our spouses instead of hurling a wet
dishcloth at them as they deserve. Once our position in camp was secure, we
proceeded to sabotage camp proceedings by disseminating forged arguments
that were perfectly illogical and made complete sense, causing severe
emotional and intellectual upheaval among camp participants (many of whom, I
am proud to say, have since joined the noble ranks of the Resistance) and
forcing the camp to shut down for the year and ever since. Glory, glory,
glory!

Thus the Davids Hume and Ritchie:
<<Hume, dead white male very much of his time, suggested that because reason
has limits, it should serve. Are you suggesting that it has got a bit uppity
since then?>>

Am I "suggesting" this? *Suggesting* it? I am proclaiming it from the
rooftops and dropping it from C130s in bales of fluorescent pink propaganda
pamphlets. Hume was right, Reason should serve -- not seize power and wield
it dangerously and indiscriminately like some monumentally unqualified
jumped-up Banana Republic dictator.

On with the Revolution!

Mirembe Nantongo
President, PRIIPS