[lit-ideas] Re: RR (Fictions and Realities)

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:54:06 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I just read this article.  I am no fan of Reagan, and I agree with the article
presented here in every way except one.  Most everything mentioned are
philosophical issues that could have been prevented prospectively (the
environment, institutionalizing greed, and so on).  Regarding his aid to the
Islamic terrorists, however, we are judging him with retrospective 20/20
hindsight.  There was no way for anyone to know what OBL was to become, while
the Soviet Union at the time was our enemy.  Magnifying the Soviet Union into
the evil empire was certainly unnecessary, an extension of his movie fantasies,
but even so it would have taken a philosopher king to see that the enemy of our
enemy is our friend is a dangerous long term business.

Andy Amago
Needing to get some work done