[lit-ideas] Re: RR

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 22:50:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Robert Paul <Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> >to mark the occassion, i'm going to re-read George
> Orwell's Brave New World,
> this time as a comedy.<
>
> There is certainly an extremely weird disconnect
> between the mawkish nonstop
> coverage of the death of this genial con man (which
> has now spread to ESPN) and
> his actual accomplishments. To imply that this
> should institute a period of
> national mourning is an insult.

I suppose there is some wisdom in not speaking ill of
the dead, but what I see at NY Times goes way too far.
I liked the statement of one Senator John Kerry of
Massachusetts:

"When we lost the brave astronauts in the Challenger
tragedy, he reminded us that nothing ends here; our
hopes and our journeys continue."

Human deaths, as we see, are inconsequential on our
"journeys."

Wonder if Saddam has been told of RR's death, and how
he feels. He might have a few good things to say about
him, too.

O.K.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/