[lit-ideas] Re: Quotes of the Day

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 20:36:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/10/2005 5:26:57 PM Central Daylight Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Wow.  I'm voting for Marlena Tarpits!!  Those were grand and made  me smile
and think!  Really--after a day like to today, who could possibly  ask for more?

Anyone for a roadtrip to Memphis for a rally?  I have heard that it  may be
held at Graceland--which is far more beautiful in the middle of nowhere  than
one would think.

Kind of like Marlena Tarpits!

But, Andy--I do not see any sort of contradiction between the two  quotes.
The first quote does NOT say to focus on others:  "Care about  people and you
will be their prisoner"  kind of illustrates the thought  that you ought NOT do
so--for then, truly, you are trapped and if they are not  doing their own
inside work, then they often will steal your energy.

Here is the key to the first quote which ties it to the second:

"Do your work..."

What is your work?  My work?  Our work?  Why this,  Andy!!

> affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and
> endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the
> best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy
> child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one
> life has breathed easier because you have lived..."

The first quote gives you some insight into how to not get distracted from
doing what the second quote says is your work.

What marvelous quotes!

Thank you!

In addition to such thoughtful wonder, we now have our marvelous  candidate!
(I do not think, still, that Hillary is who Marlena Tarpits  ought to run
with...still think we need to think of Another!)

Off to a Meet-up and then to pick someone up from swimming practice,
Marlena in Missouri

The  first quote says focus on