[lit-ideas] Re: Quote from Andre Breton?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:27:33 -0700

Here's the scoop, courtesy of Gerard Durozi, "A History of the Surrealist
Movement," (Chicago, 2002).  In May of 1936 Breton organized, at the Galerie
Charles Ratton in Paris, an exhibition of surrealist objects.  There is no
mention of a catalog.  To stimulate responses to the show, Breton published
a special edition of "Cahiers d'Art."  His own contribution to that edition
was an essay titled, "Crisis of the Object," in which he argued that the
surrealist's task was to "restore the object to the uninterrupted succession
of its latencies."  Alas my source did not quote the exact lines you refer
to, but the footnote suggested that some of the text is to be found in Simon
Watson Taylor (Tr), "Surrealism and Painting," (New York, Harper and Row,
1972.  Our librarian says there is a new edition of this, put out by DAP in
2002.  Short of finding the cahier itself, I think this might be your best
bet.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon