[lit-ideas] Re: Purrfect Angels

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:57:37 -0500

Andreas Ramos wrote:

Remember the scene in Apocalypse Now where Playboy bunnies are brought in by helicopter for the troops?
That was merely a movie, you may say.
In Bush's faith-based war, fiction trumps reality.

History trumps both reality and fiction.

There WERE Playboy bunnies who were choppered out to fire support bases in Vietnam. This is not some new Bush plan to corrupt those who place IED's on roads; it's long-standing practice.

There were also "Donut Dollies," Red Cross volunteers who flew even further out into the field, to smaller landing zones. (I'm not being derogatory here; the term was the term used then, and for historical accuracy, that's what I'm stuck with. It doesn't really help the present to write ugly words out of the past.)

Most of the Playboy bunnies stayed close to the big shows, like the ones Bob Hope did. But there were several occasions where they flew further out, to medium sized bases.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA