[lit-ideas] Public-School Boy Gets 'Real' Trained

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:12:46 EDT

Some quotes from the OED. I haven't done 'public school'  yet. Just 'public
school boy'. Judy will love that!

Cheers,

J. L.

-----

1844 Catholic World  Sept. 756 ‘If you talk about Mass you'll shock the
respectable  element, and they'll begin to say you don't love the public-school
system.’ ‘But  I do!’ cried Cornelius. ‘I'm a public-school boy myself.’ 1857
_T.  HUGHES_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-h4.html#t-hughes)
  Tom Brown's School Days  I. v. 100  Tom by this time
began..to luxuriate in the realized ambition of  being a public-school boy at
last.
1875  B. H. BECKER  Sci. London xiv. 333  With..enlightened public spirit, the
Royal Geographical Society  offered..gold and bronze medals to be competed for
by public schoolboys. 1897  Daily News 3 June 7/2 Sneaking,  in the ethics of
public school boys, is the unpardonable sin. 1933  Granta 26 Apr. 370/1 It is
a  movement for unemployed graduates and Public School boys. 1971  _G.
STEINER_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s4.html#g-steiner)
  In Bluebeard's Castle iv. 85 The  Victorian public-school boy, the
Gymnasiast or lycéen. 2000  _J.  WILLIAMS_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-w2.html#j-williams)
  Cardiff Dead (2001) vii. 94 The
guy..was the usual long-haired public schoolboy with a Mick Jagger mockney
accent.

J. L. Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,