[lit-ideas] Re: Prof Manners

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:38:15 -0600

RP:

I cannot bring out fully the allusive richness of the latter expression, nor of the former, really; but one learned in Gricean implicature would explain effortlessly the polychrome meanings of both of them.

Where such a person is to be found, no one, apparently, knows.

The implicature being that there was indeed such a person. As Paul Stone, might one day say, "Jesus Grice! How the hell do we know that JL wasn't RP all along?"

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>