[lit-ideas] Prodigal Peeler, Tactical Socks

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 13:48:40 -0800

No doubt the question uppermost in your mind, of late, has been, "How is
David's vegetable peeler doing?  The one that was rescued from the compost."

Back up a bit.  Earlier in the year we lost not just any peeler, but my
favorite Swiss peeler: ever sharp, good fit for the hand.  Last week when I was
doing the autumnal thing and moving all those plants that I could see were in
the wrong spots, I dug out several wheelbarrow loads of compost.  I stooped,
alerted by a strange blue-ness.  There was the long-lost peeler, dirty and of
course, quite rusty.

Would it serve?  Fear not.  I have just finished putting all the ingredients
for a stew into my new slow cooker--fifteen bucks in Target...red as my
Alfa...and with a ceramic interior pot--and I peeled the carrots with the
prodigal peeler.  Worked just fine.  Maybe I should write to the Swiss and tell
them that work endures?  They probably are aware of this.

Different subject: my Friday class is still a delight and Friday morning's
meeting wasn't too onerous, so on Friday afternoon I was in a pretty good mood
when I went into the registrar's office to check that all was well re. my
seminars and registration (which begins next week).  I discovered that they
have moved both my Monday and Wednesday 3 pm, three hour long seminars to 8 am!
 For years I taught at eight a.m. and kept up steady pressure on the dean,
arguing that it was only fair for others to get a turn at this plum spot.  One
semester's relief and here I am back in the sleepy doldrums:
"Why?" I asked.
"It's complicated," said the registrar.
"Can I appeal to the dean?"
"She's in hospital with bladder cancer."
"Who is teaching at three?"
"Math on Monday..."
"And on Wednesday?"
"B. S."
This is the very same B.S. who was certified by the curriculum committee to
teach one extension class and who now pops up everywhere.

There was no help for it.  I walked up to Powells and bought two P.G.Wodehouse
books.  There's an addict's behavior exemplified.  Nine dollars of retail
therapy.

Tennis yesterday was a bit odd.  As the match developed, I thought we were
better than our opponents and yet they stayed with us.  The first set finished
6-6.  They won the tiebreak.  I told my partner that I was getting annoyed.
Not with her, of course, but with the number of errors I was making.  We won
the second set 6-0.  So the woman on the other side then hie's herself off to
the bathroom...to change her socks.  The rules say you can have a bathroom
break between sets, and people stretch this in an emergency.  But there's
nothing to say you can go off to change your socks when you think your
opponents are in need of time to go off the boil.  We finally won the deciding
tie break 13-11.

Keep calm and carry on (up the Khyber).

David Ritchie,
Portland,