[lit-ideas] Re: Press Saves Prez at Press Conference

  • From: Scribe1865@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:23:39 EDT

In a message dated 4/15/2004 4:06:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Scribe1865@xxxxxxx writes:
Our press corps in those days was more like Americans than our press corps is
today. They were both less self-hating and more appropriately anxious: Don't
be killing our leaders
in the middle of a war, don't be disheartening the people. Win and do the
commentary later.
The rebuttal to that seems easy. In those days, American government was also
more responsive to the needs of the population, American government was less
in the pocket of international corporations and special interest lobbyists, was
less intrusive of personal privacy, and may have been directed more to
securing "the general welfare" than the current government is.
It's very to rally around the leader when the government doesn't seem intent
on exterminating everyone who isn't a businessperson.

Playing Ping-Pong for one,
Eric