[lit-ideas] Re: Practical wisdom

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:39:42 EDT

In a message dated 3/22/2009 8:30:58 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Does anyone else here  watch TED talks?
The following is of particular relevance, I think, to  recurrent themes in
our discussions.
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-zdh_bQBo_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-zdh_bQBo)
John
---

I find 'wisdom' one of the most complex ANGLO-SAXON notions.
The Greeks  were even possibly _more_ complex, and I never understood their
idea of  'practical wisdom', say, behind the practical syllogism.
The Greeks had a notion of 'episteme', for science (Latin 'scientia') which
I do understand -- if 'magic' -- see Cage's recent film, "Knowing".
Then they had terms for mere belief "doxa".
But practical wisdom belongs in the boulesis realm, decision, and the
boulemaic rather than the doxastic.
Was Huckleberry Finn 'wise' in lying when he was asked if he knew an
African-American?
There is a conference, info posted on PHILOS-L, on this as being
anti-akrasia!
(I hold it was a white lie).
The Wise or Sages in Greek look notably boring to me -- they were Never My
Models: from Thales onwards. Life is to experience, not be know-it-all or a
wise  ass, as they call them.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Bordighera, etc.