[lit-ideas] Re: Popper and Impopper

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 22:42:13 +0100 (BST)

Thanks to Robert for this.

I note that "Nomological Danglers" is missing from the 'Ns' - iirc, its entry
should run:- "No one knows what they are. Good clean fun."

Donal

On Monday, 21 October 2013, 22:36, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thank Donal for his thoughts on an aspect of Popper that seldom gets
talked about.

The citation Omar provided is from the Philosophical Lexicon, a
compilation of word play and puns based on philosophers' names and
ideas. Its origin lies in some irrelevant and irreverent thoughts that
came to Daniel Dennett, as he was preparing some lecture notes, in the
fall of 1969.

Many of the original entries have disappeared, along with their
subjects' philosophical popularity, and new entries added. The Lexicon
originally circulated on mimeographed pages. Now its at

<http://www.philosophicallexicon.com/#P>

Here's the original entry on Popper, and a couple more.

*popper, adj. Exhibiting great moral seriousness; impopper, frivolous.

*noam, n. Unit of Resistance. "Hilary is a popper noam."

*grice, n. Conceptual intricacy. "His examination of Hume is
distinguished by erudition and grice." Hence, griceful, adj. and
griceless, adj. "An obvious and griceless polemic." pl. grouse: A
multiplicity of grice, fragmenting into great details, often in reply to
an original grice note.

Robert Paul
Mutton College