[lit-ideas] Re: Points to Ponder as We Plan Our Lives and Politics

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:34:12 -0500

Here's an interesting counter-argument:

http://workinglife.typepad.com/daily_blog/2005/08/robert_reich_ar.html
Robert Reich, Are You Listening?

One of my personal campaigns is to rid the world of the idiotic notion that we're all dumb and we just have to get smarter and better trained to triumph in the economy of the future. It's been one of those dumb theories that sound good on paper--who is against being more educated--but has very little to do with the real world, which is completely about one thing: the drive to lower wages.

Robert Reich has been one purveyor of this nonsense, along with some other academics who have never had real jobs...and despite the evidence to the contrary, they keep spewing this stuff.

Anyway, the smart people at the Economic Policy Institute have something interesting to say about this. It's actually part of their analysis of the positive job results from last month (payrolls expanded by 207,000 jobs). This is what caught my eye:

"In this regard, a longer term view of employment rate trends by education yields an important insight into employers' skill demands over the business cycle. Numerous policy makers, including Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan, have attributed the recent slump in employment to a mismatch between the skills of the U.S. workforce and the needs of employers. If so, this would imply that the least skilled would have lost the most ground in terms of employment rates and that college-graduate employment rates would have grown the fastest. In fact, since the last economic peak in March 2001, the only group whose employment rates have grown are the least-educated workers—those who failed to complete high school—which are up by 2.7 percentage points (compared to the overall rate, which is still down by 1.5 points). The share of high school graduates employed remains down by 1.5 points, the share with some college but no degree is down 2.9 points, and the share with college degrees is down 1.8 points." [I added the emphasis]

So, actually, being smarter didn't help people get jobs. My guess is employment is up for the least educated workers because those are where more jobs are being created--at the lower end of the pay scale.