[lit-ideas] Re: Places of the Imagination: "Tiger Bay"

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:38:29 +0100

I am really rather behind with everything.  Anyway.

>That's pretty recent, and thus Judy is perhaps right that Cardiff
>was never really centred around the docks, but around the Castle

I'm not sure.  The Castle is central now (it's on one corner of the
shopping centre, and adjacent to the Civic Centre).

>"Bute Ship Canal and Dock", (this possibly refers to the 'bleak' strip that J.
>Evans refers to,

no. The 'bleak strip' is the strip/'corridor' between the city centre and
Cardiff
Bay, it's been left undeveloped, it's really pretty awful.

I'm surprised something that mentions Penarth etc. doesn't mention Barry, where
I went to school; the real coal port hereabouts (apparently)

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK