[lit-ideas] Re: Philosophers of Empire

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 13:39:01 +0200

Well, Ferguson is an interesting author but one with a pretty obvious
ideological agenda (just to think that he married Hirsi Ali says volumes).
He oscillates between saying that the US is an empire at present and saying
that it currently isn't but should be one. For example:

Unlike most European critics of the United States…I believe the world needs
an effective liberal empire and that the United States is the best
candidate for the job.…The United States has good reasons to play the role
of liberal empire, both from the point of view of its own security and out
of straightforward altruism. In many ways too it is uniquely well equipped
to play it. Yet for all its colossal economic, military and cultural power,
the United States still looks unlikely to be an effective liberal empire
without some profound changes in its economic structure, its social makeup
and its political culture.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2007/05/the-global-empire-of-nia.html

He also discusses the term 'hegemony' but comes out in favour of 'empire':

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/59200/niall-ferguson/hegemony-or-empire