[lit-ideas] Peter Winch (Is: "The Truth About Lies," by McEvoy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:52:39 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2010 7:33:36 A.M.,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
"At a LSE Popper lecture evening (some  years ago), Prof.O'Hear criticised
P for his lack of understanding of the need  for society to limit its
"honesty" [O'Hear was taking the ruthless search for  truth by critical
discussion, that underpins P's epistemology, to imply ruthless  honesty in all
situations - a crass implication that is not drawn in Popper's  own work
afaik].
O'Hear's remarks smacked of the kind of Wittgensteinian  critique of P's
advocacy of (unfortunately termed) "social engineering" that was  put forward
by Peter Winch, and was similarly misguided and fatuous."

----

Oddly, I love Peter Winch. This is not strange. I have a systematic
tendency to admire all philosophers that McEvoy despises.

In any case, my love for Winch is not long-dated. I used, as McEvoy, to
'disregard' him, till one day I was browsing "Understanding" -- a volume in
the  best society for philosophy that England ever gave, "The Royal Institute
of  Philosophy", -- those handy paperback volumes edited by Macmillan -- and
caught  Winch quoting Grice:

"Grice is a genius. This is all about the "point" of what we say, not about
 its truth!". Loved the man for that!

J. L. Speranza
--- for the Grice Club,
----- Bordighera