[lit-ideas] <POLITICS>Speculative Psychohistory

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ANTHRO-L <ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 11:04:32 +0900

An odd thought occurs to me. Bush Senior was the last president from the
Greatest Generation, the guys who fought in WWII, won their war, and came
home to a
country that rewarded and respected them. Clinton, Bush Junior, now possibly
McCain: They are
perceived as lovable because they break the rules, something all of us long
to do. They make us feel
superior, allowing us to talk down, as if parent to child, when we criticize
them.

I wonder, are Americans (whether right or left) ready for an adult
relationship
with a President? One in which imperfections are a given but so is civil
discussion,
with both sides listening carefully instead of leaping to conclusions that
project their
worst fears?

John
--