[lit-ideas] Re: Opening Sentences

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:57:20 -0800

I've been reading reviews.

"[x] seems poised to take her place among the most incisive
and respected critics of Victorian literature and culture."

I'm trying to figure out why I find this opening sentence so annoying. I think it's the rhetorical move which avoids responsibility for judgment. Instead of saying, "I admire this person's work," the writer's opening shot is of a vista, where giant pedestals are already in place. We are at Dieppe's "Parc des heroes et heroines de la culture Victorian" or some such council-inspired park, and, having paid our euros, we walk towards the pantheon of statues, arrayed among the snow-bedecked rhododendrons. "Oh," you say, "there's Asa Briggs. I had no idea his glasses were so thick."
"That's a very good Bram Djykstra," I reply.  "Remarkable elbows."
"Look over here. It's whats-er-face, poised to take her place among the most incisive and respected critics of Victorian literature and culture."
"Why, so it is!"

Bleah.

I hope my roast is ready soon.

David Ritchie,