[lit-ideas] Online Symposium--Psychology of Religious Fundamentalism

  • From: "Dan Hill, Ph.D." <libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:51:09 -0400

=20

 PsyBC Logo <http://www.psychfundamentalism.com//header.gif>=20
Online Continuing Education for Scholars and Mental Health Professionals

=09

Online Symposium--Psychology of Religious Fundamentalism
=09

Dear Colleague,=20

Last year PsyBC produced an online Symposium on religious fundamentalism
that was the scene of a powerful and generative, international =
discussion.
The 2005 Symposium on the Psychology of Religious Fundamentalism =
continues
this exciting series of online conversations, focusing on the question: =
Why
do religious beliefs so often generate political violence?=20

 <http://psychfundamentalism.com/> To learn more or to register please =
CLICK
HERE.=20

Our online Symposium will feature some of our most creative and original
scholars currently thinking and writing on this topic-including =
Ana-Maria
Rizzuto, Richard Koenigsberg, Ruth Stein, Charles Strozier, Donald Moss,
Walter Davis and James Jones-who will present their views and engage in =
freewheeling dialogue with the audience.

There will be four sessions. Please see the list of topics below. Each
session will feature a presentation, followed by an online discussion. =
As an
audience member, you may participate in the conversation (or simply =
observe
the proceedings).=20

 <http://psychfundamentalism.com/> To learn more or to register please =
CLICK
HERE.

PsyBC is the award-winning organization using the Internet to offer =
online
education to scholars and mental health professional and bringing
psychological insight to bear upon the pressing issues of our time. Can
psychology illuminate the belief-systems and mind-sets of fundamentalist
leaders and the appeal of fundamentalist movements?

Excitement is building for the 2005 Symposium. Space is presently =
available.
We invite you to join our panelists and an audience from around the =
world to
participate in this important event exploring one of the most compelling =
and
significant issues of our time--the global rise of religious =
fundamentalism.

Sincerely,
Dan Hill

=09

Schedule and topics:

MAY 9 - MAY 19
What is the role of sexuality in the mindset of the religious
fundamentalist?
Position paper by Walter (Mac) Davis
Discussant - Ruth Stein

JUNE 13 - JUNE 23
What is the relationship between attachment to [the idea of] God and the
proclivity or tendency toward violence?
Position paper by Richard Koenigsberg=20
Discussant - Donald Moss

JUNE 27 - JULY 10=20
What is the relationship of the religious fundamentalist to [the idea =
of]
God?
Position paper by Charles Strozier
Discussant - Ana-Maria Rizzuto

JULY 18 - 28
Under what circumstances (cultural and psychological) does the religious
fundamentalist's attachment to [the idea of] God lead to violence?
Position paper by James Jones
Discussant - Dan Hill

 <http://psychfundamentalism.com/> To learn more or to register please =
CLICK
HERE.

=09
For further information call Orion Anderson at 718-393-1104 or send an =
email
to  <mailto:PsychFundamentalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
PsychFundamentalism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx=09

-- Type: image/gif