[lit-ideas] One misuse of 'fail' ("He failed to ...")

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:50:44 EDT

And then, talking of fathers failing to be fathers ("lest they give
unconditional love everyday," Father Geary predicts), there's this misuse of
'fail':

"I failed to notice there was a fly in the  soup".

-----

Etc.

Geary:

--- TIPS TO FATHERS  (unfailing):
----- Give your unconditional love to your son on  Monday.
----- Give your unconditional love to your son on Tuesday.
-----  Give your unconditional love to your son on Wednesday.
---------  proceed.

"Universalise" alla Kant:

"Give your son your  unconditional love everyday".

------

Speranza

In a message dated 10/12/2010 10:11:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jwager@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

One  reason fathers may more like "failures" at home than they do at work
may  have to do with their openness to being taught.  I don't like the
feeling at work of not knowing what I'm doing; I like to think of myself
as "in charge,"