[lit-ideas] Re: One in The Morning

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 04:06:24 -0700

Marlena,

I met Susan back in 1975. We were both riding a company bus regularly to work at McDonnell Douglas. Early on in our getting to know one another she told me she had the disease that ultimately turned out to be Crohn's (a disease that somehow gave rise to all the others). We were getting serious so she was giving me fair warning. Shortly thereafter I had a dream about her. In it I was something like one of the doctor's I had read about, someone who would do something sacrificial like take care of leper's. In the dream I was happy to take care of her. I told her about the dream the next day and she scoffed. I told her the dream meant that I would be able to take care of her no matter what. She scoffed some more.

I think it was to that dream she referred not so long ago saying "you said you would take care of me and you have, but I didn't think you would."

Someone not so long ago said Susan was the closest thing to an angel she'd ever met. Yesterday a 78 year-old man, someone I'd never met, came to the house and leaned over Susan (who had been given morphine and couldn't hear him), petting her arm and telling her how much he appreciated her, that she was a wonderful Christian lady. I thought he was going to weep. He wasn't coherent and didn't stay long, giving me his phone number and offering like so many others "to help." Later when Susan seemed more coherent I mentioned his name, saying he had come to see her, and asked if she remembered him. She didn't.

Auden sometimes missed being married. There were a few women he met that he could imagine being married to. He was a Christian and believed homosexuality was a sin, but he also believed in God's grace and that he would be forgiven. He could see (or imagine) what it would be like to be in a good marriage, but he was a committed poet and believed a wife would hold him back. Nothing ever held me back but me. I was never interested in the sort of clubishnesss that poets and other writers engage in, partly to help their being published, but mostly it seems (from the bios) because they really liked being with each other, or a few of others like them, and liked the writing scene. I was a well-trained Marine when I started college and couldn't abide any sort of clubishness other than the sort I had been trained to appreciate. The work I did at Douglas and McDonnell Douglas was fairly easy. There were few days in the 39 years I worked in Engineering that I couldn't find time to write if I wanted to, and I did often enough to believe that my occupation hadn't kept me from anything I wanted to do.

So here I am at 03:00 in the morning. I woke to check on her and found her with her head on one of the bed railings breathing hard. I gave her some more morphine and placed the oxygen device back in her nose, straightened her bedding a bit and lay her back down. I then couldn't go back to sleep. It doesn't matter.

Lawrence

On 6/27/2015 10:20 PM, eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Dear Lawrence
Walking next to Death as you are IS universal. Having had a somewhat similar
situation, I believe you are putting into words the emotions I have not been
able to articulate and it touches the grief that never leaves.

Thank you for sharing, not just the poetry, but Susan of whom I have heard so
much of Susan through the years. I do believe she has been a Gift. I am so
sorry that you and she are going through this.

Lurking on Lit-Ideas,
Marlena in Missouri

Sent from my iPhone

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 07:26:45 -0700