[lit-ideas] Re: On the Trail of the Warm Congeries

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:12:17 -0500

Mike: Eric has a way of ridiculing my posts that I find funny and
enlightening even when wrong.  My call for Lawrence to "be his beliefs"
 was my humble way of urging him to pick between being a Presbyterian
or a Marine.

Hey, Mike, don't take it as ridicule; yet if you must take it that way,
be assured I ridicule myself more than you. In any event, no harm or
insult intended, especially when wrong.

The first Gentile convert to Christianity, as I'm sure you know, was a
Roman centurion named Cornelius. There's no record that he stopped being
a centurion. Similarly, another centurion took his servant to Jesus to
be healed. The story implies he kept on being a centurion.

If the Christ religion is too daunting, consider Arjuna in that
mishegoss of dual and non-dual doctrines extracted from the Mahabharata
we know as the Bhagavad-Gita. No self dies, Arjuna, no self does the
killing. (Of course that's a saga about a gambling debt gone horribly
wrong, but poets like it.)

Islam has its own warrior-religion version, which is probably at the
same intellectual level as the Viking religion. Ragnarök y'all.

The point being that many cultures admit warrior codes into their
regnant religions. No two masters to parse.

Just another shmo,
Samurai Joe