[lit-ideas] Re: On being a Marine and an American

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 10:27:18 -0700

Omar,

I don't usually respond to all the insults you & others regale me with in
lieu of valid arguments or debates.  As that wise Lit-Ideas Philosopher,
Irene Cassidy once said, "When people have nothing to say of substance, they
make personal attacks."  But yesterday I was waiting for my wife to come
home from a long trip and didn't want to tackle anything very serious while
I waited; so why not respond to all the insults?

Unfortunately your personal attacks are brief, sometimes consisting of
little more than a line or two.  And if I respond to them, I open myself up
to "you didn't get it right."  You at least explained what you meant,
dripping your explanation with more insults and sarcasm in the process of
course.  Others don't bother doing that; they just say go back and read what
I wrote, or read what I wrote more carefully.  Of course if I try to do that
I open myself up to more ridicule for still not getting their cryptic little
barbs quite right.

Well, that was all very amusing yesterday, but I won't be doing much of that
today.

Lawrence