[lit-ideas] "Omnis Determinatio Est Negatio"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:19:12 EDT

Was: Plato's Heteron

In a message dated 8/11/2004 12:53:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
In early  Greek thought this would have been mysterious. In fact, in the
traditional  formal logic, there was no negation of entire propositions.
We write 'It is  not the case that [for all x, if x is F, x is G'] where x is
thing and F  and G are properties or predicates (is a dog, and is a
marsupial,
respectively, perhaps).
Kant would have had to write 'All  dogs are non-marsupials,' or 'No dogs are
marsupials.'
I don't think  that either of these notations could appear in the Sophist,
where
it is  being and non-being, not negation that is under investigation.

----

I  beg to disagree. Plato seems to have mentioned the equivalent in  Greek
for something like 'not' (ou, me). As the passages cited in my "Plato's
Diaphoron", it seems that some of his examples _are_ meant to illustrate the
general
use of 'not'. He failed to see that 'ou' and 'me' fulfils _more_  functions
than he thought they did.

Plato writes: "When we are told THE  NEGATIVE signifies THE OPPOSITE, we
shall not admit it; we shall admit only that  the particle â??notâ?? [ou or me]
indicates something different from the words to  which it is prefixed, or
rather
from the things (pragmaton) denoted by the words  which follow the negation."
Plato, Sophist -- cited by David Wiggins (286n11), and J.  Dunn 1999:9 as â??a
hint
â?? of a definition of â??notâ?? in terms of â??incompatibleâ??. The
Strangerâ??s
proof (in Soph.  257b) that negation cannot be _reduced_ to pure [polar]
opposition hinges on the  fact that the Greek expression "me mega" -- literally
â??not big
â?? --  can  _not_ be read as a CONTRARY affirmation. That which is NOT BIG [me
 mega] need not therefore be  SMALL." [and Aristotelians need not apply].
Plato's Stranger argues explicitly  that NEGATION isn't THE CONTRARY ("to
enantion"), but "the other" ("to  heteron"). The Platonic concept of NEGATION
as a
mark of DIFFERENCE  assimilates [it] NEITHER TO CONTRARIETY NOR TO
CONTRADICTORY
[antithesis]. The Parmenidean swamp of not-being  can be skirted if we take
NEGATION to represent, not "not-being," and not  [polar] oppositeness (or
contrariety) -- but simply otherness or difference. For Plato, the 'fact'

             A is not B

["Dogs are not marsupials", to use  Kant's and R. Paul's example] is
unpacked into the corresponding 'positive' ['affirmative'] fact:

            "A is other than B."

["Dogs are _other_ [animals]  than (from?) marsupials"]. If  there is no
positive [affirmative] fact, we have been redeposited into the  nightmare realm
of
Parmenides (Cf. R. Gale 1976, E. Toms, and J. F. Pelletier  for extended
discussion). Platoâ??s  track with negation did attract the attention of Cook
Wilson:

          â??[His] contribution to the theory of negation
         ...  was pointing out that "not-being"  _often_
         *means*  'relative' [and not 'absolute'] not-being,
          something that is which _has_ a being of its own,
          but not some _other_ kind of being [â?¦] This is the
          familiar modern doctrine Omnis Determinatio
         Est  Negatioâ?? (Wilson 248).

More  recently, Wiggins: "[Plato thinks] we are in a position to _explain_
negation [in a  way not patently open to Parmenidean objection] ... â??notâ??
(me
or ou), adjoined  to a predicate G [e.g. "dog"], signifies being "other than G"
(357B-D). In other  words if and only if

         ~(Theaetetus)G

then, provided we concentrate ... on  the kind of case when the predicates
"F" and "G" belong to the same range â?? we  infer

         There is an F such that {((F)Î?(G)) & (Theaetetus)O[F]}

-- where â??Î?â?? stands for difference  (Gk. 'diaphoron') â?? or what might be
meant by the same thing:

       (Theaetetus) O[some F such that (F) Î? (G)]

 "When we say

      "x is  not big,"

-- but cf. "a dog is not a  marsupial" -- then do we seem to  express
(deloun) "small" any more than "middling-sized" by the predicate (rhema)
â??not bigâ???
Plato, 257D. Theaetetusâ??s reply is "kai pos" â??  how could we *mean* 'small'
rather than 'middling-size'? â?? which [one may] take  to mean that â??not
bigâ??
_no more_ *means* â??middling sizeâ?? than it *means*  â??smallâ??. What 'x is
not
big' *actually* means (rather than otherwise â??implicateâ??] is

      "X is  OTHER THAN BIGâ??.

R. Paul writes:

>Trying to understand the  pre-Socratic and Platonic
>concepts of 'negation' (if there  really even is such
>a thing) in terms of the modern  negation sign will add
>nothing but confusion to a topic that's already  confusing
>enough. ...  One of  the problems there is how one can
>speak falsely; and no conception  of negation as it
>is now understood, sheds light on  this.

Wiggins agrees in part, while noting  he was only trying...

â??I do not [â?¦] believe that Plato  came near to solving the problem of
negation, or that he reached any  satisfactory understanding of what problem
this
problem really is. The little  clarity we now have about the nature of the
problem of negation does not lead me  to think that Platoâ??s notion of other
is of
fundamental importance in solving  itâ?? (302).

Cheers,

JL