[lit-ideas] Re: Of Bog Sprites and Teaching

  • From: Mike Geary <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 13:45:40 -0500

Sayeth Richie:"It's, after all, what I do."

Me?  I spent most of 37 years fixing (mostly) restaurant equipment and
commercial / residential hvac/r.  I enjoyed it about as much as you can
enjoy doing anything of a non-sexual nature.  Now, however, I work for Home
Depot -- closing out a month now.  They believe in e-learning.  I've spent
at least 72 hours watching excruciatingly boring videos about Home Depot.
 The first 30 minute video was entitled "Watch Your Signature" I thought it
was going to be about identity theft, but no, it was an anti-union video
advising "associates" (otherwise known as labor) to be very careful about
what we sign lest a labor union sneak in through the thoughtless, careless
signing of a card.  "You don't want outsiders telling you how to do your
job do you?"  O my, if they only knew whom they had signed on -- Commie me.
But, after all, this is what I do now.  Best keep my mouth shut until the
time is ripe.

My previous job had me sitting or squatting or lying down or standing up or
precariously balanced half-upside down or else in some seemingly unnatural
contortionist position as was necessary to work on a whatever.  Now I stand
for hours on end, stand and walk, walk and stand and at day's end it's
"Lord God, Heavenly King, God the Father Almighty!! my feet and legs and
lower back are stiff and competing in pain.  I curse my body, that once
served me so well, for its pitiless recalcitrance.  Where's that Union card?

Mike Geary
Reluctant Worker of the World