[lit-ideas] Re: Now it's AP photos...

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:01:04 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"It is no surprise that journalists are using all the tools (photoshop,
preying on emotional, vocal news devourers etc) in their formidable
arsenal. It's a pity, but it's really no surprise. I wonder if they
realize how cockeyed their motives are and how far those intentions are
from their actual effect."

Why wouldn't their motives coincide with those of the media using those
pictures?    Photographers are selling a product as are the news media
so unless there is other evidence, I don't see any need to impute
motives beyond the crassest one:  the more dramatic the picture the more
likely it is to be picked up and distributed more widely, making the
picture more valuable.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON