[lit-ideas] Re: "No pun intended": the implicature

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:02:10 EDT

W. Okshewski quotes my

> For Grice (or
> Griceans), this is a pragmatic  contradiction. Because, by pointing  the
> addressee's attention to  the pun, it _is_ somehow intended; yet it is a
> sneaky act of
>  communication.

and comments:

"There is no pragmatic contradiction involved, as far as I  can see. The
speaker
means that at the time of the utterance no pun was  intended. If she did
intend
the pun and claimed otherwise, she is a liar, or  perhaps a comedian. But why
not extend a principle of charity or cooperation  to the speaker and give her
the benefit of the doubt? Imagine what  communication would be like if we
didn't
trust others to be speaking the  truth most of the time."

I think it is a sneaky form of communication (or 'in bad  faith') because, to
refer to the 'alarm bells should be ringing'  example:

if the utterer did not intend the pun -- then obviously the  utterer thought
that someone may come up with the pun in their  mind.

So, I think the language is pretty vast, and she (for I'm  assuming Walker is
a woman) SHOULD have chosen another wording if she really  wanted no pun
intended.

To say "no pun intended" is like saying "No spitting in the  bus" while you
spit on the bus.

Grice discussed this in cases of 'failed-to-be-cancelled'  implicatures. If I
say "He has beautiful handrwriting but I don't mean to intend  he's not a
good student'" the cancellation fails because the thought was already
_directed_
towards that content in the addressee.

Cheers,

JL