[lit-ideas] Re: "No dating please - we're American"

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 12:29:10 -0700

on 6/4/04 3:05 PM, Andreas Ramos at andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Here's a study on dating (or the lack of dating) and hooking up among
> college students in the USA. It's pretty disturbing.
>
> "A remarkable, in-depth look of the world of dating and mating on college
> campuses.  Students will see their experience accurately represented, and
> parents of students will be stunned at the differences, some for the better
> and many for the worse, from their college experiences.

I'm not "stunned."  In fact I see very little difference between what is
described in the report and the situation when I was an undergraduate,
1974-78, at Sussex.  People didn't generally go "on dates," nor did they
announce commitment...blah, blah.

There were hysterical articles about the decline of civilization back then
also, and yet somehow in my cohort of friends from that era there has only
been one divorce--a couple who, exceptionally, went on dates, announced
commitment etc.  When you think the sky is falling, place your feet firmly
on the ground and look closely at your surroundings.  The giddyness should
soon disappear.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon