[lit-ideas] Needless to say

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 09:22:29 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote:

"I sometimes wonder about Jeffrey Dahmer.  I think he had depression, so he was
just sick, not really a sociopath, but what made him sick?  What combination of
wiring and environment?"

Needless to say, bad sentence.  I think I originally started out to delete the
whole thing and didn't quite get there.  Having started it though, let's try it
again, maybe come closer this time.  I think he had depression, which affects
nearly everybody at some point.  Depression has been called the common cold of
the mind.  Depression explains nothing at all.  Dahmer clearly had issues with
abandonment too, which also explains nothing.  I'd love to see an FBI profile
on him.  If they have a profile on him.  I don't know if he crossed state lines
or not.  Corporate sociopaths are much more interesting and relevant.
Non-sociopaths, like Bush II, are more interesting.  He was an alcoholic, so
chances are he was self medicating.  His disdain for the little people fits the
profile of splitting off the hurt part of himself.  Unfortunately he was
running the country.

Andy