[lit-ideas] Re: NYTimes.com Article: Iraq-Bound Troops Confront Rumsfeld ...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:57:56 EST

It's good to know someone is  benefiting.

_http://www.truthout.org/mm_01/5.120904A-1.pdf_
(http://www.truthout.org/mm_01/5.120904A-1.pdf)

<<The value of Halliburtonâ??s Iraq contracts has crossed the $10  billion
threshold. Halliburton has now received $8.3 billion in Iraq work under  its
LOGCAP troop support contract and $2.5 billion under its no-bid Restore  Iraqi
Oil
(RIO) contract, a total of $10.8 billion.
The mounting value of the  contracts has been accompanied by a growing list
of concerns about Halliburtonâ??s  performance. Over the last year, government
auditors have issued at least nine  reports criticizing Halliburtonâ??s Iraq
work,
and there are multiple criminal  investigations into overcharging and
kickbacks involving Halliburtonâ??s  contracts. Former Halliburton employees
have
testified before Congress about  egregious instances of overbilling. Despite
these
concerns, the Bush  Administration continues to reject the recommendations of
its auditors that 15%  of Halliburtonâ??s LOGCAP reimbursements be withheld
until the company can provide  better substantiation for its charges.>>

So Halliburton makes tons, while the soldiers go without armoured vehicles,
and who's paying the bill?  You and me, the tax-payers.  Halliburton  rips you
and me off in plain daylight, under Bush's watch.  Is everyone  okay with
that?  Maybe others have the money to burn...  and  don't care where it goes.
Subsidizing a huge (corrupt) corporation is  going to make me safer.  In the
parlance of my teen:  yeah,  right.

Julie Krueger