[lit-ideas] Re: Myths of Iraq by Ralph Peters

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:26:49 -0500

Teemu Pyyluoma wrote:

"That war time reporting is inaccurate is a truism, and I don't see any
need to presume that inevitable inaccuracies reflect anything else than
the difficult conditions."

Perhaps, but then 'inaccuracy' lies in _all_ the reporting, including
the BBC.  See the BBC on Jenin.

I have no sympathies for the Bush administration, but I can understand
their frustration.  'Electricity For An Extra Two Hours in Northwest
Iraq' or 'Central Iraq Polytechnic Holds Graduation' won't be a lead
story for any news organization outside of Iraq.  If one was insisting
that things were getting worse in Iraq, surely the report of a massacre
wouldn't be sufficient.  For example, what does the car bomb killing of
168 people give evidence of?

A friend of mine is director of an organization that has three members
being held hostage and another member recently killed, so I am well
aware of how dangerous Iraq is.  (He has to force himself to answer his
cellphone because, as he did a week ago, he is afraid he will get a
message saying the body of another hostage was found.)  Yet, and against
the opinion of my friend, I do think things are getting better in Iraq.
It seems to me that slowly the infrastructure for a new Iraqi society is
taking shape and while it may not be what the Bush administration
envisioned, it will be much better than what it was under Saddam.  But I
don't know how one could prove it either way.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON