[lit-ideas] Music as meaning.

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "LIT-IDEAS" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:38:52 -0500

Actually, I don't believe in anything but music.  The problem is defining
"music"  maybe JL can help us out here -- we hearers think that music is
sound and rhythms of sound, but the deaf can tell us how benighted we all
are.  Music is inside.  Deaf people know music.  Maybe more so than you and
I hearers do.   Music isn't sound.   Music is spirit, is motion, is space,
is opaqueness, is liberation.  Music is us in the world.  Our lives are a
score given us -- we can play the same old tune or improvise.  It's all just
jazz, folks.  Have fun with it.

end of sermon,
Mike Geary