[lit-ideas] Re: Museums of Tolerance

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:35:17 -0400

>>The victim is working at the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, a place dedicated to educating the public about hate.

This sounds like a Donald Barthelme short story. It could go something like:

The victim is working at the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, a place dedicated to educating the public about hate. The victim doesn't like his job that much--long hours, low pay, and too many people who just don't want to be educated about hate.

At lunch, in the bee-loud garden behind the Museum of Tolerance , the victim is reading _The Victim_ by Saul Bellow, while sipping a cup of microwaved miso soup. The victim's sister calls and asks if she can borrow his Vespa tonight. She's still dating that oppressor.

The victim wonders why he expected more of his life. The garden is too beautiful. Blooming delphiniums, peace lilies, zinnias. A shame to go back.

Entering the side door, the victim passes a poster for the Museum of Tolerance's film festival. Tonight, they are showing "Victim," with Dirk Bogarde, Dennis Price, and Sylvia Syms. The victim loves that movie, and considers calling his sister back and telling her that he will be late. She'll get angry, he thinks, and she'll blame me. She always blames me.

...and so on.