[lit-ideas] Re: Moderate Muslims

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 23:12:11 -0400

When I cited Irshad Manji, Mike asked "She's never been to the South or Midwest and observed mainstream Protestantism there, has she?"

I should have included the complete quote rather than snipping it.

_____

I appreciate that every faith has its share of literalists. Christians have their Evangelicals. Jews have the ultra-Orthodox. For God's sake, even Buddhists have fundamentalists.

But what this book hammers home is that only in Islam is literalism mainstream. Which means that when abuse happens under the banner of Islam, most Muslims have no clue how to dissent, debate, revise or reform.
______