[lit-ideas] Misc.

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:10:10 -0500

Summarizing the On Point link I posted on Theoria:  It seems Iran's logic
is, Saddam had no nuclear weapons and look what happened to him. North
Korea does have nuclear weapons and everyone plays nice with them.  Iran
also sees itself as a developed country and wants nuclear weapons to
enhance its standing.  High oil prices are good for Iran.  Also, invading
Iraq and Afghanistan gave Iran Persian links in both countries they haven't
had since the mid-1600's.  He also mentioned the polls that apparently show
so much optimism of the Iraqi people.  Seems it's a religious thing.  The
Iraqis have to say they're optimistic because everything is in God's
control; "God willing".  Therefore, the polls are meaningless.  The Iraqi
infrastructure is also worse today than it was under Saddam.  It seems that
we'll be pulling out and they're going to have to start soliciting
investors to come in and rebuild.  The Marshall Plan isn't working.
Democracy isn't taking root because the prerequisites to democracy aren't
in place; no stability, no security, no real middle class, no real
political parties or process.  Just elections along factional lines amid
total shambles.

Eric, what do you envision following a military strike against Iran?
They'll roll over and go away and we'll be safe?  Something along those
lines?

Regarding the ports, according to Lou Dobbs, 2 military ports will be
included as well, which means they'll be cut in military information.