[lit-ideas] Re: Miller and culture

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:17:45 +0000

I see what I thought might happen, has: our papers (our "quality"
papers, anyway) carried a lot of items on Miller (in addition to
obits) on the very day the NYT carried just one, really rather brief,
piece.  One theory about his relatively greater importance here (from
a US person whose name I missed, who lives here, I think) is that as
his work increasingly became a critique of the US it became less
popular there and more popular here (it was always liked here, but I
take her -- non-partisan -- point).

To the Herbert piece and your question.

(NYT)> If you can't say it in 30 seconds, you have to move on

and

>but the public at large seems
> much more interested in what Martha will do when she gets out of prison
> and what Jacko will do if he has to go in.

the second is probably true here too -- I'm not sure it's as bad here.
 The first is I'd say less true, and I think perhaps the fact that we
 have TV stations with no ads and limit the ad time and frequency on
 the others helps. (A UK program made with an eye to the US market is
 now obvious, it has frequent rapid transitions/breaks to allow for
 the US ad breaks... .)

 I'm not sure that's a very helpful comment!

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx