[lit-ideas] Re: Meta-odic

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 18:36:23 -0400 (EDT)

Yet another dimension of the meta-odic is the song parody. Take "Casey
Jones" -- yet known to the "Tommies" during the Great War in the form of a
parody:

old Joe Whip mounted on the parapet
old Joe Whip a Mills bomb in his  hand
old Joe Whip he stopped a blooming whizz bang
now he's a bomber in  the promised land.

It should not surprise us if some parodies are/were better known than their
 original. "My girl from Tennessee", for example, parodied as "My girl from
 Battersea". And there may be other cases.

Cheers,

Speranza